You’ve got to call it out.
There’s no point in pretending to be polite or considerate. Or trying to get along.
Republicans can call you a communist or a socialist without a second thought. They’re never asked to define their terms. If you’re a Democrat, you’re automatically labeled radical and dangerous.
You’ve got to stop mincing words. It’s no longer Republicanism. It’s now fascism.
Republicans have become fascist. Harsh call? Not at all.
Let’s look at 14 core principles of fascism.
1. The cult of tradition.
2. The rejection of modernism.
3. The cult of action for action’s sake.
4. Disagreement is treason.
5. Fear of difference.
6. Appeal to social frustration.
7. The obsession with a plot.
8. The enemy is both strong and weak.
9. Pacifism is trafficking with the enemy.
10. Contempt for the weak.
11. Everybody is educated to become a hero.
12. Machismo and weaponry.
Umberto Eco, the Italian novelist, and critic, summarized these 14 basic features of fascism in his article “Ur-Fascism” in 1995.
It sounds increasingly like the Republican playbook.